Friday 10 April 2009

The Bombay eBicycle Club

My Betrothed is in love. "Well, of course he is!" I hear you say and I should jolly well hope so. However, Q and I are afraid that we have been superceded in his affections since the recent purchase of his eBike.

And what, you may ask, is an eBike?

Well, it looks very much like a motor scooter ... with pedals. It is, in fact, a bicycle with an electric motor.

It buzzes along at a top speed of 30 km/h but has all the advantages of your traditional bicycle in that it can be ridden on bike tracks and footpaths and requires no registration or licence to operate. The electric motor is practically silent (a worry as my Betrothed can now sneak up on us) and costs approximately 10 cents a day in electricity to recharge.

It really is something special and my Betrothed is completely infatuated with it.

I am taking full advantage of this by making hay while the sun shines.

"We need some milk, honey" says I. "No problem" says he, gleefully. "I'll just ride down to the shop." Yay!

Given the number of our friends who have ... ahem ... fallen foul of the constabulary in the matter of having a few too many while behind the wheel, it seems likely that the eBike shop will avoid the economic downturn and be besieged by customers. They have already decided to call themselves the Bombay eBicycle Club and are planning expeditions of increasingly unlikely proportions.

The big question is whether a gopher qualifies for membership? Perhaps one shouldn't ask ...

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

It is truly a brilliant device and perfect for your lifestyle. I am still trying to convince Himself that he should trade in 'The Car' (DON't mention the war)for one of these.