Thursday 18 December 2008

The Joy of Christmas

Unlike A Free Man, I love Christmas! I love getting together with family, friends and the occasional waif or stray; cooking up a storm; eating far, far, far too much and - particularly! - giving out the presents under the tree.

I love buying Christmas presents. There's a real thrill in finding just the right thing to wrap up in pretty paper and put under the tree, confident that the smiles will be genuine and the gift appreciated.

BUT I HATE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!!!!!!

Buying - good. Shopping - bad. It's as simple as that.

As my Beloved (and everyone else who knows me) will attest, I am an appalling shopper. I don't like shops. I don't like browsing. I don't like queues to the checkout. I don't like the crowds of imbeciles with a collective IQ lower than my shoe size who seem to populate shopping centres. Particularly the ones with baby pushers who seem to think that the fact of parenthood gives them the right not to look where they're going and/or stroll at snails' pace in the middle of the aisle. I break out in hives at the very thought of a Westfield centre and try to avoid the Mall like the plague.

Basically, shops suck.

There are a few exceptions. A book store is a joy and I can even forgive it the Christmas crowds as I am likely to find at least 50% of my Christmas booty within its doors. I am also a great fan of hardware stores - but not generally for Christmas. I have discovered that (unlike me) the majority of my girlfriends are not generally impressed by a hammer drill or circular saw under the tree (thank you Headbang - I am eternally grateful!) so I tend to stick to these establishments out of the silly season when I can indulge my penchant for wing nuts in private. And as for bottle shops ....

However, in the Christmas season shopping and buying go hand in hand and it is impossible to avoid the pitfalls of the Christmas rush. Damn it.

Today I spent some hours in the Mall looking in vain for some list items that had either (a) been sold out or (b) were subject to store queues the length of the Amazon. Finding a park was a nightmare and negotiating the crowds was even worse. Nothing leapt out to provide inspiration for the "damn I can't think of anything, I'm sure I'll find something in town" few (sorry, Mother). And the worst thing is that next week will be even worse.

*Sigh*

Bring on Christmas day when this is all behind me and all there is to do is relax and enjoy ...

4 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

No need to be too grateful, Bette. The circular saw was under twenty bucks, if I recall. Has it not yet fallen apart or electrocuted a loved one?

Gawlerites said...

These days if you go into Bunnings especially the big one not far from your house you would be able to wander around in complete comfort all day shopping your heart out for ALL your friends male & female, even have lunch, if you so desired, and with the satisfaction of knowing that 98% of the dropkicks would be in the "girlie" type shops

A Free Man said...

I meant to tell you. The panties - mine. They were riding up during the party, so I chucked them into the hedge. Sorry to litter.

Arizaphale said...

I am put out! I am not the first commenter!!!!!

1) you and Himself do have something in common after all!

2) Online shopping was invented for you.

Love you and what the **** do YOU want for Christmas???