Tuesday 22 July 2008

Fat, fat, fat ...

I'm sure there are people in the world who never fall on their faces at sporting events; who don't drop their glass just as silence is called for a speech; who never get bitten on the arse by large dogs; and who have clothes in their wardrobes that are all the one size and have been reliably worn for years.

I am not one of them.

The depressing truth of the day is that the large majority of my wardrobe no longer fits me and I'm wondering why I gave away all my fat clothes when the swinging pendulum that is my weight last trended towards 'ACCEPTABLE'. Again.

Yes, dear reader, this is not the first time that I have been faced with this particular conundrum. Having accepted the fact that my last pair of reasonably sized jeans are simply too uncomfortable to wear any more - do I bite the bullet and go on a rigorous diet to lose 10 kilos (25 pounds), or do I go to the fat shop and buy a summer wardrobe?

Now I am under no illusions as to why I gain weight. I do not have a slow metabolism. I do not have a thyroid problem. I do not have "big bones". Simply put, I eat too much, drink too much and don't do enough exercise. Case closed.

The problem is that I like eating and drinking. Doing these things - especially in convivial company - is my favourite passtime. Would that I approached exercise with similar enthusiasm. *sigh*

The other problem is that I do know how to diet successfully, having done it on at least two previous occasions in the last 8 years. The DIVA, the Banker and I have all been successful WeightWatchers, and there is nothing about low fat cooking that The DIVA and I do not know and have not tried. It can be done. It's not that hard.

BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO IT!!!!!!!

The whole thought is incredibly depressing - but then so is the thought of going to the fat shop.

There are those, of course, who ask the question "Well, if it's easy to lose a couple of pounds, why not just do that when there are only a couple of pounds to lose?". Very valid question. Logical. Insightful.

Let's just not go there.

It's actually the type of question that I can see ticking over behind the sympathetic facade of the Bestie. Much as I love her, and much as she tries to understand, she just doesn't get it. She is one of those admirable people who have been wearing the same size for 20 years (was it a picture I saw of her wearing a high school creation on her website recently?). She has lately complained of putting on weight and in evidence of this has pinched, from over her ludicrously flat stomach, about a centimetre of skin between thumb and forefinger - wondering all the while why the knuckles of my right hand (the one holding the kitchen knife) have gone white ... Bless.




Anyway - here's a picture of me looking acceptable two years ago:




And here's one of me and the Bestie about a year before that with me looking like the goodyear blimp:

At the moment I'm about half way between. Which way is it going to go?

No comments: