Tuesday 22 July 2008

Visiting and the dangers thereof ...

It was a glorious and sunny day today, just right for donning the walking shoes and heading off to see my gorgeous cousins Cherie and Ian to while away the afternoon and check out all the work they've been doing in their front yard.

The plan was to walk from my front door to the tram stop (about 15 minutes), catch the tram to Jetty Road and then walk from there to Cherie's place (another 15 minutes). However, the day was so lovely and the iPod was shuffling my favourite walking songs so I decided that I could walk a little further than previously planned.

The problem with this is that having passed the local tram stop, the next time the walking track and the tram-line go anywhere within coo-ee of each other is several stops down the line. So I made it to Morphett Street (which for those of you who know Adelaide is at the race-track) which was only 3 stops from where I was going anyway so I thought I'd just keep on walking.

Perhas some training before attempting a 90 minute walk would have been appropriate? Hmmmm....

Anyway, I made it. Hot, red-faced and aching for the very nice Sav Blanc waiting in my backpack, I let myself in the gate and greeted Cherie with heartfelt releif.

Unfortunately there was another body in the front yard - Cherie's old and considerably senile rottweiler, Rocky. Rocky took one look at me and decided (despite the fact that we have been acquainted for years) that he didn't like me one little bit. And so came up from behind and bit me on the arse.

I have not been bitten by any dog before, and certainly not by a very large Rottweiler. For those who have been similarly blessed I would suggest you never try the experience. It hurts! A lot!

I now have an extremely large bruise and 4 distinct puncture marks on my left buttock. The lump is the size of a small ostrich egg and (on advice) I am going off to have a tetanus shot tomorrow. You wouldn't read about it!!!

I also feel a little guilty because I think Rocky is on a one way trip to the vet come Monday morning. This is not completely because of his lapse today, but because it has become a bit of a habit with him. I believe I am in the latest in a list that now includes the neighbour, my aunt and at least two small children. My bottom is not an item of particular interest to anyone (*sigh*) but it is at about the level of a 5 year old's face so I guess something has to be done.

Now, I have always liked little dogs ...

No comments: